Moving is a nerve-wracking and stressful event as not only does it cost a lot of money, it takes so much time to plan and arrange everything. One alternative you might be interested in is DIY moving.
Do-it-yourself moving is the ideal option when moving only a few pieces of furniture or any household/business items. Newlyweds and small start-up businesses can really benefit from this option, as it is cheaper and more liberating than employing someone else to do it.
The most crucial step – aside from storing and organising all your stuff – is to hire the right vehicle that will comfortably accommodate your belongings. With their economical and multi-purpose vans, H&H Van Hire ensures a stress-free moving experience in North London.
So, if everything is neatly packed and you have already spoken to the lovely people at H&H, it’s time to hit the road! Hang on, hang on; hold your horses! First, you should learn how to safely load and unload your items from the van:
- Ensure that you have easy access from your door to the vehicle’s rear door. Make an obstacle-free route to avoid injuries and accidents.
- As much as possible, plan everything out. Determine which items need to be loaded first and have them ready to load onto the van.
- Distribute weight evenly. This will make it easier for you to load and unload and it will also help with the smooth running of the hire van.
- Use plenty of packing or transit blankets to cover your appliances and furniture while they are being transported; to protect them from any damage.
- Along with the transit blankets, use moving straps or lifting straps to wrap around your appliances and furniture to ensure they remain steady – this will double the security of your items so they don’t shift during transportation.
- Heavyweight items should be on the bottom and lightweight items on the top.
- Once everything is safely loaded and tightly secured, remember to lock the rear door.
- When you have arrived at your destination, make sure you open the rear doors slowly; items may have shifted due to the movement of the van.
- Walk-through your new premises so that you can mentally map out your route. Clear the path of any obstacles that might get in your way.
- As much as possible, move everything from the van directly to the proper place to avoid handling it more than once.
- Store away all transit blankets and moving straps.
- Don’t forget to double check the van for forgotten items.
- Remember to return the hire vehicle as you found it.
Other useful tips:
- Before the actual relocation, it is best to have a floorplan of the property so that you can pre-plan where to put your items.
- Safety first. Wear suitable clothing that will allow you to move freely.
- Get someone to help you lift the heavy objects. Do not do it alone.
H&H Van Hire takes very great pride in the quality of our fleet, which has over 90 vehicles to choose from. Here are some recommendations:
- If you are packing light, our Ford Connect is the best option for you. It’s the cheapest van for hire and it’s also fuel efficient.
- For extra moving power and space, our Short Wheel Base is perfect for long drives.
- If you have larger and taller items, our Long Wheel Base is the perfect choice as it is bigger compared to other vehicles.
- Our Luton Box Van is the right choice for moving heavy furniture, equipment and appliances as they this model is equipped with a big box at the back. It also has a tailback lift for easier and safer lifting.
- If the moving involves more people, our Crew Van can comfortably accommodate up to six people. It has a large storage area for all your items, including heavy equipment or furniture.
For a swift and stress-free DIY moving experience, H&H assures a quality service with no hidden charges! We’ll have you moved in no time.